The Louisville & Southern Railway Lexington to Lawrenceburg Division is a partly active and abandoned railroad in central Kentucky.
The Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad (C&O) Greenbrier Division is a former railroad in the Greenbrier River valley in Greenbrier and Pocahontas County, West Virginia. The 101-mile line was one of the C&O’s primary branch lines for timber products and served more lumber companies than any other in the state.
The Central Ohio Railway is a former railroad that connected Columbus to Bellaire, Ohio at the Ohio River. The line played an integral role in the development of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O), especially after a bridge was completed over the Ohio River that enabled eastern markets to connect with Chicago and the Midwest. A railroad was first conceived between Wheeling, West Virginia and the Midwest in the mid-19th century as an efficient manner in transporting freight and passengers from the east coast west into Ohio and ultimately Chicago.
The Marietta & Cincinnati Railroad (M&C) is a defunct railroad that connected Cincinnati, Ohio to Parkersburg, West Virginia. Through acquisitions during the 1800s, the M&C commanded over 270 miles of railroad, from Cincinnati to Marietta and south to Portsmouth and Hillsboro. The line was later absorbed into the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, becoming its mainline between Cumberland, Maryland, and St. Louis. Significant portions of the route have since been abandoned.
The Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railroad (CH&D), originally chartered to build from Cincinnati to Hamilton, Ohio, and then to Dayton, owned or controlled 640 miles of track by the early 1900s.
The Tennessee Railroad is a former coal-hauling railroad between Oneida and Fork Mountain, Tennessee. It is also notable for once hosting a passenger excursion train in the 2000s.
The Cincinnati Southern Railway contains numerous bypassed tunnels and bridges along the “Rathole” between Cincinnati, Ohio and Chattanooga, Tennessee.
The Oneida & Western Railroad is an abandoned rail line between Jamestown and Oneida, Tennessee. The line served vast pockets of virgin timber and coal mines before it was abandoned in 1954 after many years of financial troubles.
The 3.9-mile Cincinnati & Southern Ohio River Railroad (C&SOR) was completed from the Cincinnati, Indianapolis, St. Louis & Chicago Railway (CISL&C) in Lawrenceburg to 3rd Street in Aurora, 1 in 1886 at the cost of $80,000. 3 4 It was o …
The Norfolk & Western Railway Bluestone Branch is an abandoned 17-mile coal-hauling rail line along the Bluestone River in West Virginia.
The Norfolk & Western Railway Pocahontas Branch is an abandoned 4½-mile coal-hauling rail line near Pocahontas, Virginia.
History The Greenbrier & New River Railroad (G&NR) was incorporated on August 6, 1881, with the goal of building a railway from Hawks Nest to Hinton along the south side of the New River. 2 There was never any serious intention to build the lin …
The Norfolk & Western Railroad (N&W) Twelvepole Line was part of the original alignment of the N&W between Lenore, West Virginia and Ohio. It was replaced by the 59-mile Big Sandy Low-Grade Line through Mingo and Wayne counties.
The Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Belt Line is a former railroad in Huntington, West Virginia.
The Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Long Fork Subdivision existed between Martin and mines in the southern reaches of Floyd County, Kentucky, including Weeksbury, Wheelwright, and Price.
The Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad Levisa Subdivision was a 22.7-mile coal-hauling line that connected Millard to Dunlap, Kentucky.
A gallery of abandoned railroads, depots, supporting buildings, cars and locomotives in the United States.
The Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad (C&O) Lexington Subdivision is a mostly abandoned 109-mile route between Lexington and Ashland, Kentucky.
The Buffalo Central Terminal is a closed railroad station for the New York Central Railroad in Buffalo, New York.
The Pennsylvania Railroad YMCA in East Canton, Ohio served railroad workers for the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railway (PFW&C). It provided overnight lodging, baths, meeting space and other accommodations for railroad workers. The PFW&C was operated by the Pennsylvania Railroad Eastern Division.